ARROYO GRANDE, CALIFORNIA – The City of Arroyo Grande Recreation Services Department is pleased to announce an exciting lineup of events for the remainder of 2022. The Recreation Services Department has Winter fun covered for all ages. Please see the list of activities provided as follows:
- The 2022 Holiday Parade will be held in the Village of Arroyo Grande on Sunday, December 4th starting at 5 p.m. Bring family and friends to this beloved tradition where local businesses and community groups come together and put on a show for the town and do not miss the special guest – Santa! The Parade will start in Olohan Alley, leading onto Mason Street and heading west onto Branch Street, ending near Bank of America. Parade applications are accepted until November 21st by visiting, www.arroyogrande.org/catalog.
- The City of Arroyo Grande Recreation Department, Central Coast Athletics Foundation and Toyota of San Luis Obispo present the 1st Annual Jingle Bell Dash. This FREE event will take place just ahead of the Holiday Parade on December 4th. Runners from preschool – 6th grade ages will receive a jingle bell for their shoe to “jingle all the way through the Village!” Girls and boys will compete separately, and by age divisions. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places will receive medals. Registration will take place at 3:30 p.m. near Doc Burnstein’s, and races will begin at 4 p.m. For more information and to pre-register, please visit www.arroyogrande.org/catalog. Jingle Bell Dash participants are also invited to walk with the Toyota Parade Entry during the Holiday Parade.
- The Mayor’s Challenge Holiday House Decorating Contest is back! Enter your decorated home from November 28th – December 18th for the chance to win gift cards from local businesses. The categories are Most Festive, Best Use of Lights, Most Creative, and Best Overall. Winners will be announced on December 21st on the City’s social media pages and website. A map of entries will be available to view on December 6th and updated daily for community members to enjoy. Entering the contest is FREE and donations are accepted for the City of Arroyo Grande’s Youth Scholarship Program. For more information and to register, please visit www.arroyogrande.org/catalog.
- Join the first ever Tree Lighting & Snow at Elm Street Park on December 10th from 5 – 7 p.m. This is a fun and FREE community event that will include carolers, a food and toy drive, food trucks, a s’more station, and 12 TONS of snow leading up to the main event of Santa lighting the tree at 6 p.m.! Invite your friends and family to this enchanting event. Thank you to Mayor Caren Ray Russom, Supervisor Lynn Compton, Bob and Dorsey Christianson, Carrol and Joan Pruett, Lincoln Hayashi Russom, Toyota of Santa Maria, Toyota of San Luis Obispo, RRM Design Group, Peak Wifi, Verdin Marketing, Brand Creative, and 5 Cities Water Systems for making this event possible through their generous donations.
- Breakfast with Santa. Enjoy a delicious pancake breakfast with Santa! Breakfast with Santa will be held on Saturday, December 10th from 8:30 – 11 a.m. at Tar Creek Ranch. The cost is $10 per guest. This event is for all ages, so come and enjoy the Knights of Columbus’ famous pancake breakfast and take a picture with Santa! Entertainment and additional activities will be provided.
Please visit www.arroyogrande.org for more information and stay up to date with all the fun the Recreation Services Department has planned.
# # #
Sheridan Bohlken, Recreation Services Director