General Municipal Election - Nov 6, 2018
The next General Municipal Election will be held in the City of Arroyo Grande on Tuesday, November 6, 2018 for the following Officers:
- For one (1) Mayor for a full term of two (2) years
- For two (2) Members of the City Council for full terms of four (4) years
The nomination period for these offices begins on July 16, 2018 and closes on August 10, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. If nomination papers for an incumbent officer of the City are not filed by August 10, 2018, the filing deadline will be extended to August 15, 2018. This extension is not applicable to incumbents.
Individuals interested in running for office can download Running for Local Office - A Quick Reference Guide for basic information about running for local office. This Guide is not intended to be a comprehensive document and does not include the forms required when running for office. If you are interested in declaring your intent to run as a candidate earlier than the nomination period and are considering raising or spending money for your campaign, you are subject to certain filing requirements. Please contact the City Clerk at 805-473-5400 for more information.
A Candidate Handbook will be provided to a potential candidate when the nomination paper is issued during the nomination period. An appointment to receive and/or file nomination papers is encouraged. To schedule an appointment during the nomination period, please call the City Clerk's Office at 805-473-5400.
To be eligible to vote at the November 6, 2018 election, you must be registered to vote no later than Monday, October 22, 2018. For more information regarding voter registration or to obtain a vote-by-mail ballot: Visit the County Clerk-Recorder's Office - Elections and Voting.
Additional Election Information and Resources
- Fair Political Practices Commission : The Technical Assistance Division of the FPPC will provide telephone assistance Monday - Thursday, 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM at (866) 275-3772 concerning campaign filing requirements and conflicts of interest.
- Arroyo Grande City Clerk's Office: The City Clerk is responsible for coordinating the Municipal Election and receiving all Campaign Filing Statements for local candidates. To contact the City Clerk's Office, call (805) 473-5400, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm (except holidays), or send an e-mail.
- San Luis Obispo County Election's Office: Find your polling place, voter status and more online.
- Smart Voter is an online resource that provides nonpartisan information on elections and voting.
- California Easy Voter Guide provides new voters and busy voters with nonpartisan information for statewide elections in California.
- Success in Public Service : What You Need to Know Before You Are Appointed or Elected